Friday, September 21, 2012

A little too much?

Well, what happened?  I was trolling aforementioned website and clicked on a recent heavy duty wedding article.  Lots of fun pictures! yay! I do enjoy the wonder of these big, themed, ridiculously expensive weddings.  However, as I scrolled down the page at probably picture 50 or so, something hit me.  It didn't feel pleasurable looking at this beautiful couple on their fated day.  I am a big pro-marriage person and I am pretty certain mine will be a classy affair...but this, just, felt, wrong.  Maybe it was the wedding. Maybe I am just a kill joy. But at what point is it all a little too much?  In this part of the world it is important to celebrate our culture by having a traditional wedding as well as the religious wedding (Christian/ Muslim).  Now we have added pre-engagement parties, first meeting of the family parties, thanksgiving ceremony parties, post-wedding parties... I like to think that whichever god the couple worships, if any, won't be fooled by serial excuses to have a party.  And the expense! I'll get to that later.  Ok, you are having a themed, destination wedding. Brilliant! Romantic! For say 200 guests and there will be costumes, boats, ballerinas, doves, tigers, lions.  Salsa dancers, marimba, mixologists, desert stations etc.  All lovely in and of themselves, if this was a private thing with your family and friends.  However, when you decide to invade public space by publishing all these celebrations in a glossy in print or on the interweb then you are saying something. And what is it exactly you are saying....and who are you saying it to?  I cannot deny anyone the right to spend their money in any way they see fit.  I am just a little wary that in a bid to outdo each other in the way weddings are handled in these gossip rags, we might loose sight of what's real and important.  Two people who are making a lifelong (supposedly) commitment to each other.  It is a huge step.  Take a week or month or year of celebrations to mark it if you want, but the public may soon stop being positive about these dream weddings.  Let's see. I have been accused of being a kill joy before.

Oh and I did post a comment on the site along the lines of  'this is a fantastic wedding but a Cinderella coach? come on now'.  Needless to say, the moderator did not post my comment

No comments:

Post a Comment